Have you ever worried that your old letters, certificates, photographs, maps and diaries are getting damaged whenever you handle them? You want to share them with the family, give everyone the opportunity to connect with long-gone relatives, but you can see creases gradually turning into tears. And what about those framed photographs hanging on the walls? They are fading in the light, changing gradually, getting irrevocably damaged. The best way to keep all these treasures safe, is to make copies: this allows you to store the originals out of harm’s way, while the copies can be handled and displayed. With a digital copy you can even print off as many duplicates as you like, as often as you need them.
We have been copying our records in order to protect them for a long time, and I’m pleased to say that we’ve opened up our copying service to everyone, from individuals to heritage organisations: we can now digitise your history for you.
Our experienced staff, using the same equipment they use for all the historic records we hold, are able to digitise:
- diaries, journals and other bound volumes
- letters, certificates and other documents
- maps and plans
- drawings, watercolours and prints
What are the advantages of trusting Derbyshire Record Office with your family’s history?
- We have a state of the art digitisation system, including a book cradle for safely copying bound volumes.
- Our staff are highly trained in handling delicate historic records.
- Whilst in our care, you records will be kept safe in one of our secure archive stores.
- We provide high quality images of at least 300 pixels per inch (ppi).
- We give you the choice between TIFF files, which have a very high resolution but take up a lot of space and can be slow to open, or Jpegs, which have a smaller resolution, but take up a lot less space.
- We put the images on a CD for you for free, or for a small charge on a USB stick
To ask for a quote, simply fill in a Digitising History quote request form on our website.